Daily updates from the first annual AFI DALLAS International Film Festival presented by Target, founding sponsor Victory Park, March 22 to April 1, 2007

Friday, March 30, 2007

Exclusive: Jefe Brown on Differences Between Prague and Texas

SHUT UP AND SHOOT ME producer Jefe Brown on the differences between his "homes" in Prague and Texas:

GOING FROM PRAGUE TO TEXAS: "When coming to the States, and Texas in particular, much of it is language. It has become strange to be in a place where everyone is speaking English around me and all the signs are in English. Also, the Texas friendliness takes me aback at first because Czechs are not that way at all. And I do like this friendlinees. In Texas, you can strike up a conversation with anyone and the positive, can-do spirit of Texans is infectious. It makes me feel like I can get things done here."

GOING FROM TEXAS TO PRAGUE: "On the other hand, when arriving back 'home' to Prague, it does take some getting used to. Czechs are generally very reserved and skeptical and dont exactly say hello to you on the street. Also, the language issue is large. I have to get my head around speaking Czech - mostly about how to phrase things and getting used to using the formal and informal devices in the language. Also, though I speak Czech well, I am automatically taken as a foreigner based on my accent and have to get used to being seen that way. Much of it is just being aware of where you are and how you are perceived. Also everything takes longer to organize because the bureauracy. There is just more paperwork and clearances across the board."

AFIDALLAS.org | FILMS | TICKETS | PRESS | SPONSORS | VENUES

More